Deciding to use Colorbond Steel for your roof is a solid choice. Not only is Colorbond Steel strong and energy smart, it comes in 22 colours, so you can set the theme for your home by mixing and matching with your gutter and downpipes. Plus, the lighter colours are thermally-efficient, meaning they can keep your home cool on hot, sunny days.
Keep reading to find out more about Colorbond Steel and why it’s best for Australian Roofs.
Colorbond Steel was introduced to Australia in 1966. Since then the colours and technology have evolved significantly to provide not only a range of choice, but superior protection in Australia’s harsh conditions.
Tested for corrosion, durability and outdoor exposure, a Colorbond Steel roof protects your home from all weather conditions, no matter how extreme – from heat, cold and dust, to rain, wind and hail.
More than just ‘paint on steel’, it offers 5 layers of protection as follows:
- The steel base is manufactured to meet relevant Australian Standards, ensuring strict adherence to the required grade and strength.
- The base is then coated in BlueScope’s industry leading metallic coating, incorporating Activate® technology* to provide enhanced corrosion resistance.
- A thin pre-treatment layer is applied to optimise the adhesion of further coatings.
- A corrosion inhibitive primer is baked onto the surface.
- A topcoat of specially developed, exterior grade paint is baked on to provide resistance to chipping, flaking and blistering, and to ensure the finish retains its look for longer.
Colorbond Steel is non-combustible and can offer increased fire protection. For this reason, it a sensible choice if you’re planning to build in a bushfire prone area or want better bushfire protection for your home. It can be applied as steel roofing, gutters, downpipes or as walling.
Energy Efficient & Environmentally Friendly
Five of the light colours in the Colorbond Steel range qualify as solar reflective, which means that they provide an energy efficient roof. Also, every colour (except Night Sky®) in the standard Colorbond Steel range features Thermatech solar reflectance technology. So with this on your roof you’ll have less dependence on air conditioning because it’s designed to reflect the heat.
Colorbond Steel is made from recycled steel and is itself 100% recyclable. It’s lightweight, so costs less to transport to sites, and its durability helps to conserve the planet’s resources and energy.
Colorbond Steel roofs are simply maintained by being naturally washed with rainwater. Unwashed areas such as wall cladding under eaves, underside of eave gutters and top of garage doors can be washed six monthly with clean, fresh water. Coastal areas that receive marine salt spray may need more frequent attention.
Need to talk to an expert about if Colorbond is suitable for your roof? We’ve probably got a team near you – so ask us your questions and we’ll try to arrange a FREE measure and quote of your roof. Get in touch here.